ULTIMATE GUIDE TO DIY COFFEE CANDLES WITH UPCYCLED COFFEE GROUNDS
The intoxicating smell of coffee is known to grab almost anyone’s attention (if you’re reading this, you’ve probably fallen victim to this intoxicatingly delicious scent). It’s a smell that stops you in your tracks and redirects you to the nearest coffee shop, or convincingly tempts you to brake your rule of no coffee after 3pm. If you’re looking to get the coffee smell fix without having to brew a cup(s), we’ve got an easy DIY Coffee Candle recipe using upcycled, environmentally friendly, and natural ingredients:
WHAT YOU’LL NEED FOR DIY COFFEE CANDLES:
– Upcycled Coffee Mugs
– Natural Candle Wicks
– Recycled Candle Wax or Newly Purchased
– Don Pablo Coffee (Running Low?)
– Saucepan (that you’re willing to designate for only candle-making use)
– Spoon or Chopsticks
- Prep your upcycled coffee mugs by washing and drying them thoroughly.
- Grab your Superglue and natural candle wick. Put a drop of super glue on the bottom of the wick’s base. Then, let dry the wick base in the mug's center. We recommend doing this to make sure the wick stays in place.
- Melt 12oz of palm wax:
Place sauce pan on stove top, add wax and turn on stove top to medium/high heat.
- Measure one tablespoon of coffee grounds (or whole beans) (used or unused).
- Once the wax is melted, pour thin layer into mug while holding the wick straight up. We recommend using a funnel while pouring wax to keep from making a mess, cleaning up wax sucks.
- Add a light layer of coffee and then add the rest of the wax. While wax is still wet, add the rest of the coffee and lightly stir coating the coffee in the wax. Make sure beans are not too close to the wick or they will burn when lit!
[If you are an experienced candle maker or adventurous novice, consider adding essential oils to add depth to your candles at this step as well. We recommend vanilla, mint and tobacco.]
- Keep wick vertical and centered, let dry for one hour.
- Trim wick before burning
How to Use: Once the candles have solidified, you are ready to burn and enjoy the sweet smells of coffee!